Summers and pickle-making go together, especially in India. And, here is the instant raw mango pickle made according to the instructions of my grandma. This raw mango pickle is more of a south-Indian variety owing to the unmissable flavour of the sesame oil(gingelly oil).
What I have always liked about this raw mango pickle is that it is quick and instant, ready to be eaten within 10mins, stays fresh for a week to 10 days in the fridge🤤, vegan-friendly, and also perfect to be indulged by gluten and lactose-sensitive people.
I sometimes mix a spoonful to the vegetable salad, toss everything together and turn the bland salad spunky! Do try it out.
Raw Mango Pickle
Pickles are known as ‘Oorugai’, in the Tamizh language. And, a raw mango pickle in Tamizh is known as ‘Maangai oorugai’, where maangai stands for ‘raw mango’ in Tamizh, while the instant Raw mango pickle is also known as ‘dhidir maangai oorugai’. The south-Indian Raw mango pickle is the most favourite commodity to be packaged overseas and makes for a perfect edible souvenir to carry home from a visit to India.
Instant Raw Mango Pickle
The instant raw mango pickle is usually served in the ‘Kalyana saapadu‘ (wedding lunch) of the marriages held in Tamizh households. The oorugai goes well with rice, chapati, and even dosa. However, I would recommend relishing a nice bowl of curd-rice with this pickle. Pure bliss!
This mango pickle makes a perfect accompaniment to any south-Indian dish, from curd-rice to keerai masiyal. You may also want to check the story of the Tamizh spinach dish( Keerai masiyal) aka Easy Peasy Keerai in my words!
The detailed recipe and procedure for making this south-Indian pickle are given here as well as on our YouTube channel. Kindly scroll down!
Pin this recipe for a later read!
You may also want to read about the Mysore Pak, a perfect edible souvenir of Tamil Nadu
Instant Raw Mango Pickle
- Wok / Kadai / Frying Pan
- 5-6 Medium Sized Green raw mangoes ( Wash them thoroughly in saline water/ vinegar / baking soda mixed water. Then pat dry. Chop them into small cubes )
- 1/4 Cup Red chilli powder ( Reduce the quantity to lessen the spicy taste )
- 1/3 Cup Table Salt
- 3 tbsp Sesame Oil (Gingely oil / Til Oil ) ( Refrain from using Olive oil )
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Fenugreek Powder ( Check the video that also has steps to make fenugreek powder )
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida ( Hing)
- Place a thick bottomed pan/wok on the stove at low flame.
- Add 3 tbsp of oil into the pan/ wok.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Now, add the chopped raw mangoes into the pan.
- Mix the mango pieces well with the oil and mustard seeds. Allow it to become a little soft and mushy.
- Once the mango pieces become tender and mushy, add 1/4 cup red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/3 cup salt.
- Mix well and switch off the flame. Mango pickle is almost ready!
- Place a small wok (kadai) on low flame. Add 1 tbsp of sesame oil and warm it a bit.
- Add a teaspoon of fenugreek powder and 1/2 tsp of asafoetida to the oil. Allow it to get fried in the oil for a few seconds.
- Give a gentle stir. When frothy bubbles start appearing, switch off the flame.
- Pour this mixture onto the mango pickle and mix gently.
- Transfer this instant Mango pickle to a ceramic jar with a lid.
- Voila ! Instant south-Indian Raw Mango pickle is ready.